Home - Campus Life - VISA


Different Types of Visas for Faculty

Most non-Korean professors who are appointed to teach at Konkuk University (KU) should apply for an E-1 visa.

Length of Stay Status
(Visa Type)
More than
90 days
Professor (E-1) A foreigner qualified by the Higher Education Act and hired as a professor or a lecturer at a university.
Foreign Language Instructor (E-2) A foreigner who is hired to teach a foreign language at an educational institution.
Researcher (E-3) A foreigner who is invited by a public or private institution in Korea to perform research in science or technology
Documents for Visa Application

Newly appointed foreign faculty members need to send the following documents to Faculty Affairs at the Office of Academic Affairs.

  • Passport and one photocopy of the first page of your passport
  • Copies of diplomas for your doctoral, master’s, and bachelor’s degrees
  • Passport photo (as a JPEG file)
  • Copy of your resume or CV
  • Proof of employment for former positions
  • Chinese citizens: Copy of your Chinese identification card

Faculty Affairs will submit the documents to the Seoul Immigration Office. Once the immigration office approves your application, Faculty Affairs will send you a “visa issuance approval number” by e-mail. With the number, you must visit a Korean embassy/consulate in your country to apply for a visa prior to entering Korea. If you plan to arrive at Seoul in mid-February (or mid-August), you should send the documents to Faculty Affairs by mid-December (or mid-June) at the latest. Please note that this deadline is subject to change.

Visas for Dependents

If you hold a D-2 or an E-1/2/3 visa and your dependents would like to stay in Korea for more than 90 days, they can apply for a F-3 visa. Dependents include your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 20. To apply for an F-3 visa, your dependents must submit:

  • Application form
  • Passport and one photocopy of the first page of your passport
  • One passport photo attached to the application form
  • Documents verifying family relationship
    • Copy of marriage certificate for spouse
    • Copy of birth certificate for children
  • Chinese citizens: Copy of Chinese identification card


  1. The list of documents can vary depending on the country that the Korean embassy/consulate is located in.
  2. There are single- and multiple-entry visas. If you want to travel back home or to other countries during your stay in Korea, we suggest you get a multiple-entry visa. The embassy/consulate may issue you a single-entry visa if you do not specifically request otherwise.
Go Top